Thursday, January 24, 2013

Anna Karenina

Written By Leo Tolstoy
Original Publication Date: 1873
Rating: 1 Star

Book Notes:
2%
It's interesting that Stiva is described as "liked by all," when the first scenes of him are him defending his cheating ass.

7%
So, do you suppose I'm ever actually going to meet Anna?

17%
"... they ought to find out how to vaccinate for love."  This is such a depressing book: so cynical of love and marriage.  There's not a single happy relationship in this book.  And I'm less than pleased of the characterization of people who are faithful to their spouses as stupid.  I still believe in love, sue me.

30%
This is the book that never ends.  Yes it goes on and on my friends.  Some people started reading it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue reading it forever just because ... 
Keep in mind, this book took me almost three weeks to read!  Fucking ridiculous.

Review: 
I am not going to torture myself and write a real review of this book, it was painful enough for me to read, much less go back and try to deconstruct what I liked and didn't like.  I didn't hate everything in the book, Anna and Vronsky as well as Kitty and Levin were both interesting story lines.  The problem is that every time it switched couples we had to read chapters and chapters and chapters about farming (Levin) or society and politics (Vronsky).  It was godawful boring for 600 pages, and it didn't end when it should have, it went on for another 30 pages, musing about the existence of God!

After almost three fucking weeks, I was thrilled to finally finish the damn book:



Now back to your regularly scheduled "real" reviews.


1 comment:

  1. I applaud you for finishing it. I got halfway and gave up, realizing it was just a rambling description and it was pretty obvious what would happen. Ha.

    ReplyDelete