Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Written By Seth Grahame-Smith
Original Publication Date: 2010
Rating: 3 Stars
Book Notes:
Page 32
"'I have since learned to distrust such stillness,' Abe wrote in 1852, 'as it is always, always prelude to some great calamity.'"
Unfortunately often true, even without vampires.

Page 41
Sarah Bush Lincoln?  I wonder if her maiden name was Bush?  Evan (my boyfriend) says that our past president Bush (and Bush) have traced their lineage back that far.  I wonder if it's true.

Page 114
"If we are to enjoy the bounty of the Mississippi, it shall need to be greatly improved, so that steamboats may navigate it freely."
There's some sort of parallel to the slavery issue here that I can't quite put into words.  Free a choked river for the bounty; free slaves for the bounty of a country.

Page 37
"I wept, for each of these boys was Willie.  Each of them had a father cursed as I am cursed; a mother weeping as Mary weeps.
I'm trying to imagine any modern president be so involved in the losses involved in war.  I can't.  We're so desensitized.

Review:
Abraham Lincoln was so damned cool in reality, that the story of his true life that went on behind the added Vampires actually overshadowed the Vamps!  Honestly what this book did was whet my appetite for a good ol' fashioned Abe Lincoln biography.  I want to know how much of what was said of Abe was truth.  I honestly think it was most of it.  I know that Lincoln kept obsessive journals, I don't know why I never thought of the fact that that would make him an exceptional president to write post-mortem bios about.

The vampires were a fun add-on to the Civil War, but as I said Lincoln's life was simply so interesting that they were unnecessary!  I found myself looking forward more to the parts of his life that didn't involve the vampires.  His relationship with his father.  The pre-Mary love story triangle.  The kids.  The emotion he showed.  Those were the things I loved about this novel.  The vampires were almost boring compared to the man that Lincoln was.

Shortish review today.  I finished this book on New Years Eve, and then proceeded to get shit faced, so any really sophisticated thoughts I had have disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment